Saturday, November 10, 2012

Brett Dennen: "Ain't No Reason" (2006)

This guy slipped by me, and I have been listening to a lot of folk rock in the last few years. Brett Dennen is from Northern California and learned to play guitar while entertaining kids as a camp counselor. He is very active in supporting nonprofit initiatives and supports the camp to this day.

This is from his from his Facebook page: “In many ways this is my first album,” Brett Dennen says of his fourth record, Loverboy. “On my previous albums I said what I needed to say. I evoked every different mood and sentiment and emotion. Now I don’t really have anything to prove. I’ve been the new kid on the block and now that phase is over. I get to start all over again, relax, and refocus.” He pauses and flashes 
a laidback grin. “And what I’m focused on is having fun.”

I think "Ain't No Reason" is a song about the insanity of the persuit of material things, and that it is not likely to change anytime soon.
 

People walk around pushing back their debts
Wearing pay checks like necklaces and bracelets
Talking 'bout nothing, not thinking 'bout death
Every little heartbeat, every little breath


Dennen’s rise has been impressive. In 2004 Dennen released his self-titled debut, followed quickly by his sophomore LP So Much More (2006,) which spent months on the Billboard Heatseeker chart. The release drew the attention of John Mayer, for whom Dennen opened in 2006 and 2007. In 2008 the artist released his follow-up, Hope for the Hopeless, which debuted at #41 on the Billboard Top 200 and firmly established Dennen as a definitive new voice in modern songwriting. He’s worked with Femi Kuti, Natalie Merchant, and JasonMraz; he’s toured with Dave Matthews, Rodrigo y Gabriela, and The John ButlerTrio; and he’s played Bonarroo, Austin City Limits, Coachella, and Newport Folk Festival. He’s also become the go-to guy for some of the best and most artfully soundtracked contemporary tv shows. His songs have appeared on Scrubs, Grey's anatomy,Parenthood,Brothers and Sisters, and House among others.

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment