Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Z.Z. Top: "I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide" (1979)


This "Little old band from Texas" was formed in 1969 by guitarist Billy Gibbons (William Frederick Gibbons), who would become the lead singer and composer for many of the band's songs.

The band solidified the following year when Dusty Hill became bass player and Frank Beard took over as drummer. Typical Z.Z irony, Frank is the one who does NOT sport a beard.

The band got a recording contract and released "Z.Z. Top's First Album." The record did not do well, but subsequent albums did, and their bluesy Texas rock caught on. While they sold a lot of albums in the two phases of the bands existence, they are mostly known as a huge concert draw that filled stadiums and arenas worldwide.

Lyrically, they are always looking for a wry statement or double meaning.

Their primarily Texas-boogie style morphed with the issuance of "Duegello". The term duegello means no quarter as in taking no prisoners.

As their sixth album, it was still a blues album, but the shape of rock to come was now beginning to show itself. While "Cheap Sunglasses" was the hit, "I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide" is our pick as one of their best and most fun.

Well I was rollin' down the road in some cold blue steel,
I had a blues man in back, and a beautician at the wheel.
We going downtown in the middle of the night
We laughing and I'm jokin' and we feelin' alright.
Oh I'm bad, I'm nationwide.
Yes I'm bad, I'm nationwide.


Nobody is having a bad time here. 

Wiki: "Z.Z. Top would go on to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004. They achieved 11 gold records and 7 platinum albums  Eliminator, remains the group's most commercially successful record, selling over 10 million units. " The band is still touring after 40 years...

So get in the car and let's be bad with our own badness...



No comments:

Post a Comment