Saturday, May 3, 2014

Monahan's Song: Our Interview With Savanna Leigh Bassett

Some of or staff were cruising along Bay Street during the One Spark Crowdfunding Festival last month, and came upon the creator booth for Savanna Leigh Bassett. Every time we stopped by she was standing and playing. Considering how long the five day festival was, we were already impressed. She is right in that her music does have a Beaches flavor to her country material, but it would be a mistake to end it there. She has a great range and depth of material. We suggest you check her out. 
What was the first song you ever learned?

-On guitar, it was the intro lick to "Sweet Home Alabama". Jacksonville, represent!

What was the first song you ever performed live?

-Once again, on guitar/voice, it was for a hospice event around Christmas-time, commemorating people who had passed that year. I sang the song "Breathe" by Taylor Swift and Colbie Caillat. 
-I played violin and piano before I pursued singing/songwriting, so I had performed other pieces before, but I'm just answering these questions in reference to my songwriting/singing career.

What was the coolest venue you ever played?

-I really enjoy performing outside. There isn't one venue that comes to mind, but I've gotten to play at the Florida Folk Festival and in Central Park (NY) and at the Chain of Parks Festival in Tallahassee. Outdoor concerts really stick with me.

What advice would you give someone who is just now starting to write and perform in North Florida?

-Only do it as long as the fun outweighs the work. As soon as you start making yourself miserable, you gotta get out. Life's too short!

What famous musicians do you admire? Why?

-Chris Thile is a killer mandolin player and great bluegrass songwriter. I'm really impressed with all the different projects he's been involved in (Nickel Creek and Punch Brothers, to name a few). I really admire any musician who is doing what I want to be doing -- touring and writing and performing. It takes hard work to get there so I think people who do that work are pretty great.

Who is your biggest local influence?

-Career-wise, a woman named Lyndie Burris. She is a great singer and good business woman and she is always really encouraging. Character-wise, my dad. He has always instilled a strong sense of integrity in me.

How do you balance your music with other life obligations?
-I don't. Haha, that's my answer in short. I spend a lot of time on music and unfortunately tend to neglect other things. I'm getting better at it, but it's so hard when I don't really have any deadlines. Everything in my music has a sense of urgency. I try to manage my time and do non-musicy things too, though.

Where can we see you play?

-Everywhere! I play around Jacksonville a lot but other places too. My show schedule can be found at www.savannaleighbassett.com. I play at Northstar the Pizza Bar downtown at 119 E Bay St every Thursday from 8-10pm.

Links:

Contact:


No comments:

Post a Comment