Saturday, January 4, 2014

Bill Withers: "Use Me" (1972)




Born in the town of Slab Fork, West Virginia (a chamber of commerce name if we ever heard one), Bill Withers grew up in Beckley and was the youngest of six. He joined the navy and afterward moved to L.A. to try his luck (1965).

He worked in a factory while putting out demo tapes around town. He was picked up by Sussex Records and put out his first album called "Just as I Am" in 1971 which featured Booker T.(Booker T. and the MG's) as producer and Donald "Duck" Dunn on bass as well as Stephen Stills on guitar. The song yielded the hit "Ain't No Sunshine," which went to number three on the U.S charts. This is the song that Bill sings the words "I know" 26 times. This would win him a Grammy Award.

In 1972, he would record the album "Still Bill." The single "Lean on Me" was released in July of 1972 and shot to number one. In August, "Use Me" was released and made it to number two on the charts.

"Use Me" has such a great opening hook as provided by Bassist Melvin Dunlap and keyboards by Ray Jackson. It takes you in right away. More than any song Withers did, this one seems like a narrated story, but with lots of emotion:

My friends feel it's their appointed duty
They keep trying to tell me all you want to do is use me
But my answer yeah to all that use me stuff
Is I want to spread the news that if it feels this good getting used
Oh you just keep on using me until you use me upUntil you use me up

Everyone he knows wants him out of this relationship but himself. This might remind you of our post about Kristy McColl's "They Don't Know", which has the same message.

Withers would have other hits including "Just the Two of Us" (with Grover Washington Jr.) in 1982.

How cool is "Use Me"? No fewer than thirty-one covers of the song have been released to date, including versions by Mick Jagger, Liza (I'll cover anything) Minnelli and Rockapella. We are of course including his recording along with a cover by Hootie and the Blowfish and Liza with a "Z" for comparison.







No comments:

Post a Comment