Friday, May 4, 2012

Canned Heat: "Sneakin' Around" (1971)

"Well hello, hello pretty baby. I just called to say, to say that we are through. Cause I'm so tired. I'm tired of sneakin' around with you." That is the plot in Canned Heat's cover of  "Sneakin' Around," recorded in 1971 for the album "Historical Figures and Ancient Heads." The song was written by Jessie May Robinson (born in 1919), and she was the first African-american to be a member of ASCAP. Other people have covered the song, but this was my first exposure to it. Canned heat is rather famous and their members had a story worth reading about. This album came out after the death of  Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson, and he is not on this album. I feel that vocally Wilson was the heart and soul of the band but Bob Hite handles the vocals very well on this album. He even does a ballad with Little Richard. The video below shows the album's liner notes...a bit bizarre!




No comments:

Post a Comment